Me at Lucy's Wedding. The sun does shine in England!

Me at Lucy's Wedding. The sun does shine in England!
Me still in England!

Sunday 7 November 2010

More experiences

Last Saturday we went to Kwara hotel where the owner lets all VSO have a free swim which was great. It was lovely to do something familiar and the water was lovely and warm.I had to get out quite quickly as there was suddenly a torrential downpour! The rainy season is lasting longer this year.
On Friday I went to the bank which was quite an expedition. It wasn’t where I thought it was so I stopped a man in the street to ask for directions. He completely ignored me but a lovely lady took me with her the whole way to the bank. The bank bore resemblances to British banks with counters and an enquiry desk but was absolutely full of people-all talking at the top of their voices. Benga’s wife works there and let me jump the queue which was great. I now need references and more photos.
I also went in a fabric “shop” and acquired material for our bed-I bargained and got 200N off but in the shop where I bought black-eye beans I think I was grossly overcharged. When I arrived back in the office I was extremely red in the face after my expedition and long walk. I can’t begin to describe the sights and sounds in the streets-all the activities-people cooking in on open fires, beggars, hawkers in the road selling newspapers to passing cars, goats.......
We have now got a brand new desk for our room! Also we have worked out how to use the electric part of the stove and we have bought a kettle and a mirror! We have also did some  cleaning up and washed the kitchen windows yesterday! I have even managed to put some photos up in our bedroom! We are getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment